Thursday, March 8, 2012

Queen Maeve of Connacht

Hello beautiful souls,

My posts just come with (optional) music now :) Tee hee

                                

I've been up to insanity in my studio.  I am finding peace there.  It's blissful.

And this is what came of it:

There once was a queen, of all of Connacht.  

She was the strongest and bravest of all women, renowned for her beauty and strength in battle.  Fair as the rose, and snake-like to enemies.  

I would like to introduce you to Queen Medb.


Medb, or Maeve, is best known for the story of the Cattle Raid of Cooley.

It's about a war between Ulster and Connacht, that started over a fight over Ulster's prized bull.

Queen Maeve was a warrior, and fought in all of the wars she associated in.  She is a part of the Ulster Cycle of Irish Mythology which is set around the time of Christ.

Unfortunately, when Christianity came to Ireland much of the histories were incorporated into Christian mythos and ideology.  This makes a lot of the timing, and accuracy of the legends not so easy to figure out.


I suppose we'll never know if she ever existed.  My opinion?  Absolutely.  I feel her spirit in my blood.  The spirit of the ancient Irish warrior queen.  I think most of us strong ladies should be able to feel her in their blood, no matter where they're from.


It's what Maeve represents that keeps her spirit alive in Ireland, thousands of years later.  Despite being one of the most Catholic countries in the world, we Irish never forgot our Pagan pasts, or our heroes and Gods.

Ask anyone who was raised in Ireland the story of Maeve, or Finn MacCool, or how to treat the Sidhe.  They know.

Deep in everyone's subconscious, the pounding of drums still echoes in the depths of their existence.


Now on a really peculiar note, I've hung antlers in the dressing room!  Haha!  And no, no animals were harmed (at least not by a human).  I found these in the forest and sort of makeshift mounted them above my mirror.  My mom thinks they're gross but I think they're awesome!  I'm probably the only teenage girl in the world with antlers on her wall...

So let me know if you think the antlers are weird.  I won't be offended I promise!

Lots of love,
Jenn

9 comments:

Queenie Believe said...

Your Maeve is awesome powerful and beautiful all rolled into one. Keep up the great work.
I think the antlers are a fun find. Maybe is you hung a fun mask or stylish hat on them your Mom may not be disgusted with them as much.
Thank you for stopping by Queenie's wee blog and for your lovely comments.
Have a great day,
Always, Queenie

Prudence Puddleduck said...

This is how the history continues..good job! Maeve brave, strong, spirited...oh my she would be indanger...keep that alive and keep those antlers...you found them for a reason..♥Debi

Jessica said...

I love Maeve :) I am so glad that you have been rejuvenating your soul in the studio. Your Irish warrior queen is absolutely beautiful. It is so important to be able to reach that bliss where you are with yourself and no one else except your ideas :) Your creations, the people who come to you in a flash of inspiration...I hope you have a most glorious weekend!

xoxo Jess

P.S. The antlers remind me of Gaston in Beauty and the Beast haha! But I think they are seriously cool! I mean, it gives your dressing room style and uniqueness :)

A Magical Whimsy said...

Hi, Jennifer
I like your antlers! Have you ever been to 'A Fanciful Twist' blog? In her Esty shop she has some cards with antlers on some of the women she paints. Oh, and so many people have no clue that the pagan and Christian holidays were 'melded' together in about 400 A.D. I am fascinated by your Lady Maeve. Very interesting history and I believe the story. Just like I believe there was a real Merlin or Merlyn. I have seen it spelled both ways. I just read
'The Once and Future King' by T.H. White...what a great 'read'.
Hope you are having a lovely weekend!
Teresa in California

Miss Sophie said...

love the picture. i am pretty partial to red hair :)
sophie
princessrhyme.blogspot.com

Rachel said...

She's gorgeous, I love all that red hair.

The antlers look good in your dressing room, especially given that you found them, you should put your painting up somewhere near them.

Cameron said...

Hang some hats and scarves on those antlers and they're instantly practical, too!

Maeve is awesome.....her gaze looks like she means business!
I'm so glad you've been finding time to indulge in a little paint time.....and you must use the crackle glaze....like now....tee hee....it's so fun!

Lotsa hugs,
Cam

lvroftiques said...

Love your rendition of Maeve! And love your antlers! How cool would they be draped in pearls?!...I'm a girly girl so I couldn't help myself *winks* Vanna

Bobbypin Bandit said...

Beautiful work! I love the green of her cape!