Monday, April 30, 2012

An Enchanted Birthday

Hi everyone,

Today is my 20th birthday!  I can't believe it.   I am in my 20s!  That's kind of scary honestly.  I am no longer a teen!

When I reflect back on the year, I really have aged in so many ways.

I have learned to keep dates with myself, just as I would with anyone else.

If I'd planned to paint all afternoon and someone calls me asking to hang out, I have to keep the date with myself.  That's the most important person to keep promises to.

I've learned you only have to give second chances if the person really deserves them, and in most cases they don't.

I've learned to protect my heart, because it's my most valuable commodity.

I've learned, from Oprah oddly enough, that the past is the past and you can't hold yourself to it.

"When you know better, you do better."

And most beautifully of all, I have learned that there are amazing people who are trustworthy, and kind, and magnificently creative in my life, and all over this planet.  And I've been lucky enough to find them.

I thought I'd share some pictures from my little birthday party I had on Saturday night, photo credit to my Aunt Linda.

I'm not like most people my age.  We spent the evening, after cake of course, playing Trivial Pursuit.

 My mother surprised me with a witch and moon cake.  She knows me so well.


 Here is my beautiful mother.  You can see where I get my inspiration for all the red hair in my art ;)


 The obligatory candle blowing-out picture


All of my beautiful friends.  From the left it's Caitlan, Natasha, Hailey, Caitlin, and Kunduz.

And of course, the presents were so creative and thoughtful.


 A pirate ship.  Not going to lie, I saw this at the thrift store and bought it for myself hahaha.

 Lovely things :).  The journal is from Hailey and is going to be used as a travelling sketchbook.  I plan to keep it in my purse with a pencil so I can create whenever I feel inspired.  And the pink stationary stuff is from Miss Lady, my puppy bff :)  How sweet is that.  Oh, the top I had on in my birthday pictures is from Caitlan, another birthday gift :)  She also gave me one in pink!


 Magical things :).  The little sachets are each a different magical blend, filled with different herbs and oils.  These were handmade by Natasha, who apparently has some witchy blood in her as well.


 And artful things.  These are from Caitlin and Kunduz.  Caitlin has been living in Toronto (so far from me) for school this past year.  But she is a secret reader of my blog.  I often forgets she reads it and then she will mention something about it.  For example, I said to her, "How did you know I have been painting on wood!?"  and she looks at me with this knowing little face, like she's been keeping an eye on me from afar.  Haha!


 And, luckily enough, as sort of a surprise birthday present, I received my art swap from Melanie at Rabbit Hole Art today in the mail!  This is what it looked like before I unwrapped some of the bits and pieces.


And unwrapped.  How sweet and beautiful is everything?!  She send me some rosemary tied with lace, a gorgeous ATC, a beautiful handmade tag, some little tags to use in art, and a mini canvas with "magic" on it.  She knows my taste very well!  Thank you so much Melanie!  Everything is so beautiful and I cherish it greatly.

I also got from my mother some REALLY LONG hair extensions.  They're 24 inches, which on 5'3" me, well it's veryyyy long.  I mostly wanted them to do Lord of the Rings hairstyles!  Super nerd for the win!

I went last night to the lake for my birthday with my dad.

 This was my fortune cookie


This was my gift.  The rules?  Choose one envelope only.  Each one has a different gift inside.  You get to open the other envelopes afterwards, but you have to keep the prize in the first envelope.

Leave it to my dad to formulate such a mad as a hatter plan.

I had to pick two.  Why?  I don't know.  I just knew.  My heart was SCREAMING "Pick two!"

Number one said cash.

Number three said a new laptop.

And number two?


Guess who's going back to Ireland!!!

After all this excitement, what have I been doing in my alone time this birthday weekend?

 Just "being" in here.

 Surrounded by treasures and candlelight.


 And yes I know, my rooms change like the staircases at Hogwarts :)


What's next for year 20?  Though mathematically speaking it's year 21.  I really don't know.  I've never been much good at reading the cards for myself.  For other people, now that's an entirely different story.

Lots of love,
Jenn

15 comments:

Prudence Puddleduck said...

Happy Birthday Wonderful Muggule...lovely room, beautiful covent of girlies and from the gleaming glow of Mum and mischief gift teasers from Da, its from pure magic a lovely women like you brings smiles and joy to bloggers like me....Taures and year of the dragon (waterdragon that is) nice indeed...♥Debi (gemini, year of the dragon..waterdragon that is :)

Autumn Damiana said...

Happy 20th Birthday! Wait 'till you turn 30, that will REALLY freak you out... Wish I'd learned so much and had it as together as you when I turned 20! Beautiful pictures too, btw. Oh, and if you want to get a good tarot reading for yourself, try this shop on Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/ReadingsByKat
(I got one from her and it was really accurate!)
Blessings, Autumn

Jo said...

Happy Birthday!!! Such lovely gifts! Looks as though you're loving your 20s and trust me, you'll love your 30s even more. I'm now closer to 40 than 30 (or 20 for that matter) and I must admit total envy of your gorgeous room! lol :o) May your 20s be Blessed and every decade more so after!

A Magical Whimsy said...

Hello, Jenn
Thank you for stopping by my blog for a visit. And a very, merry, Happy Birthday to you! I remember turning 20, and I think the wisdom one has at that age never leaves you. I felt 'one with the world' in a good sense. And I was reading 'The Hobbit' and 'The Lord of the Rings' over and over again...about seven times! But actually, I think the Harry Potter series is my favorite of all time...and I am still reading them as I don't want to let go of the magic they put into my life!
I adore your bedroom! So magical!
I have some Alice in Wonderland tarot cards and they always give me the same reading (not particularly the same cards turn up) but the same scenario. So, I am content that I am to just be myself, and like you, know who I am, and protect myself and my heart. That is a great and deep wisdom many people never learn to grasp. You have an amazing mother.
And REALLY, REALLY are you going to Ireland!? Wow! I am Scots-Irish, with a bit of English, and a tad bit of Cherokee Indian, but not as much as Johnny Depp! Ha! I am probably going to go see the spoof on the series 'Dark Shadows'..I used to watch the ORIGINAL Dark Shadows series back in the 1970's...so having Johnny Depp play main character will be a hoot!
Yes, we do own Laurelwood, and bought it at foreclosure for $231,000. It was originally up to $700,000 before the housing industry collapsed. Its replacement value is $1,500,000 which I doubt we could get that in this economy. It's like going back in time when you go into the house...and there may be the ghost of the previous owner...a man...as there is a concrete slab under some of the massive oak trees, and I had a tour from the next owner and she pointed at the slab and said 'I wonder?' as she said there was no funeral nor memorial service for him....as she meant his 'remains' were possibly under the slab. It just adds glamor to the place and a hint of mystery.
I will be watching your blog for more on Ireland!
hugs,
Miss Teresa in Central CA

A Magical Whimsy said...

Me again.
In answer to your question about more photos of Laurelwood, yes, my October 4th, 2011, post has more outdoor photos. (It's about the 17th or 18th post for 2011). I also participated in Vanessa Valencia's 'Mad Tea Party' last year, and that post is June 24, 2011. I hope to participate again this year!
Have a blessed week!
Teresa

Jessica said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LOVELY! I can't believe your 20! How does it feel?? Haha like you can feel the difference. Or maybe you can?? Well, I know I am a super big late buffoon who deserves to be hexed for not shipping out your gift in time, but I hope you get it soon! I am so glad to hear that you had a wonderful day :) That cake was amazing, might I add :)

I hope that all your wishes came true :)

Jessica said...

Haha when I said "that cake was amazing" I made it sound like I was actually there to taste it. I meant the appearance, though I'm sure it tasted lovely as well. Ok, I should probably stop typing now. Teehee :) SILENCEO!

Melanie Statnick said...

Hi there Happy Birthday again!!. So happy you had such a great birthday. What a lucky young lady you are. Many blessings my new friend!

Mad Madam Mel said...

Happy Birthday ! glad you had such a fab time :)

Rachel said...

Happy Birthday gorgeous girl, it looked like you had a fabulous time. That cake looks soooooo yummy!!!

Your friends are all so sweet for buying you such wonderful pressies.

A trip to Ireland, you lucky thing!

I hope that this next year is as wonderful and magical as you are.

Rachel

Cameron said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!
I yelled it so you could hear me down here in CA :)

What a wonderful time in a girl's life!! I know my little one will be there all too soon....

You are so lucky to have family that loves you and understands you....friends that know you and cherish you....and a head on your shoulders that seems to keep within it the lessons of life and the wonder of possibility so well balanced....
These are true gifts!

...of course, the goodies and yummy cake are awesome, too...heehee!!

I can see why you'd spend time in that room....it is like a movie set of a fabulously magical tale!

So glad you had a wonderfully special day!!
You are a wonderfully special girl:)

Queenie Believe said...

*eh hem... me me me meeeeee*
"Happy Birthday to you"
"Happy Birthday to yooouu"
"Happy Birthday dear Jeeennnnn"
"Happy Birthday to youuuuuuuuuuuuu"
"*and many moooore*"
I hope your special day was great!
Sounds like you had some wonderful celebrations and golly me oh my a trip to Ireland!!!! Wowzah! Score!! Jackpot!!! ;o)
(Glasses raised) Here's to you entering your 20's, may they be filled with happiness, adventure, and all the magic possible that only the 20's can give.
Have a great day.
Always, Queenie

Mademoiselle Angeline said...

Oh oh and are you really going to Ireland? WOW!!! I am so jealous! Can I come too? Is it okay if I stow away in your bag? (that's not stalkerish at all....)

Jessica said...

Ugh! Sorry my name keeps showing up weird!

Heather said...

A very, very happy birthday to you! Your 20s will be wonderful, much more fun and lovely than those teen years! Your cake is adorable and looks like you got lots of great gifts. Happy birthday!~