Friday, April 20, 2012

Flurries, Folk Art, and a Bewitched Study

So.....

I woke up this morning after 2 hours of sleep to a Canadian history exam at 9:00 AM, as well as about 8 inches of snow.  

Literally.

The roads were treacherous.  And yes I know it's the end of April.  I suppose most of you can live the Canadian lifestyle vicariously through me, while you observe from afar in the comfort of your seasonally appropriate weather conditions.

I did not take any pictures because it looks pretty similar to when we got snowed in last month, and then had 85 degree weather two weeks later.


I've been lost in thought a lot lately.  Contemplating as always.

My issue is that I have always wanted desperately to be a rural school teacher.  In fact, my dream is to move to Prince Edward Island after graduation and teach there.  I'd love to buy a beautiful 100 year old farmhouse and fill it with art and build a life and a family.

However, the teaching market here is really terrible at the moment.  The benefits teachers receive are really fantastic, so it's a very appealing job.  Thus, there are no available jobs here anymore.  Suddenly I have people coming out of the woodwork whom I've known for years, and when I ask them what they want to do as a career they say teaching.  I used to be unique haha. It's so very disappointing :( 

I find myself gazing into the crystal:


Alas, there was no need.  Last night I looked out my window thinking how amazing it would be if I saw a shooting star.  The moment the thought crossed my mind, one shot across the sky.  It was incredibly magical :)  Like the universe telling me I am exactly where I need to be at this moment.

I've been very magically minded recently.  Remember when the Gypsy Dressing Room was a Witch's Study?  Well now it's both :)


See, still a dressing room with a dressing table.


And jewels :)


And my amazing new corset from Etsy!  The story is called Damsel In This Dress and I HIGHLY recommend this amazingly beautiful piece of fashion architecture!


So I'm back, to the velvet underground
Back to the floor, that I love.


To a room with some lace and paper flowers,
Back to the gypsy that I was...


My desk of magical things :)


I bought a telescope because as is clear, I love to stargaze.  I visited a B&B in Blarney, Ireland a few years ago.  They had a telescope in the main foyer.  It was the coziest, most beautiful home I have ever seen.  I always wanted a telescope after that.  Plus it reminds me of Harry Potter.

Oh have any of you joined Pottermore?!  My username is SilverQueen30265 if you'd care to add me as a friend.  I most enjoyed exploring the shops in Diagon Alley  (and getting sorted, I am a Gryffindor!).  I want a globe of the moon now.  I don't even know if that's a real thing!  I might have to make one of papier mache.

And onto the final subject.

When I first started painting I'd make a lot of portraiture, and I really enjoyed a Victorian, child-like, primitive quality to my work.  I've sort of gone back to that slightly, painting several personal heroines of mine from movies and literature.  I did these on wooden plaques, and was incredibly impressed with how the texture of the wood absorbed the paint.  It was phenomenal, I highly suggest wood as a painting surface.

Maria Owens (of Practical Magic)


and Rose Dewitt-Bukater (of Titanic)


Also I have been reading an incredible book by Sarah Addison Allen.  I really suggest her work.  It is of the magical realism genre and is really sweet, and fairly light reading.


If you've made it this far, I salute you!

If you're wondering where I've been it's been my exams this past week, as well as next.  I will be coming to visit all of you right after I post this, I promise!  I miss your worlds SO SOOO much.  As you can see mine has returned to normal, in regards to my blog layout/header.  I think this is just the way it's supposed to be, and I need to stop fiddling with it!

Hope you have a beautiful weekend, lots of love from me to you!



15 comments:

Cameron said...

I want to start by applauding your commitment to your education and future....you are dedicated and brilliant!
My Hubby is a teacher....and absolutely hates it. He's told my daughter not to become one....and she's not even 6 yet. I think it might be different if he dreamed about being one first, as you have.

He tried to be a good son and be the doctor his parents pushed him to be....but decided before med school that it just wasn't for him. So, with a biology degree under his belt, he got his credential and became a science teacher instead.
He's great with kids....it's the politics and grading and ( I could go on, but I won't) etc.

I'm sure there must be some differences to canadian school systems compared to ours, as well. But, the benefits, they definately are a huge plus!

I love your magical spaces, Jenn...so full of interesting and pretty things!
...and your art is just so sweet! I've heard painting on wood is incredible from others, too...I must try it soon methinks...

Yes! Skype Playdate! We're on!
I don't know why I don't have your email address, but here is mine:

paintmyselfpretty(at)yahoo(dot)com

That'll be fun!

Hope you have a wonderful weekend!
Hugs,
Cam

Prudence Puddleduck said...

You are a curious, clever, young women...there is always a way...the world is huge and A GOOD TEACHER, is more rare than you think....teaching is passion, not tied up in systems and tape...

Check out www.gypsyboudoir.com?? (Etsy)for minitures that just might catch your fancy..I too tried to email you...
prudencepuddleduck@gmail.com drop me tiny note ♥Debi

Melanie Statnick said...

Hello! No i do not miss the Canadian weather..LOL But I do miss Canada. I loced living in Ontario and I too around your age wanted to move to PEI. I did because I gravitate toward anything Victorian Era and I loved watching Anne Of Green Gables and of course Beatrix Potter. Anywho, Alas the snow bird bit be in the arse and I moved to the South in my early 20's. I too enjoy looking at the stars and I do it through a huge space shuttle type telescope my grandfather gave me. Im happy yu kept your "old" blog theme it looks great . Your decoration in your room is wonderful how magickal you've made it. I wish you all the best with your choice in becoming a Teacher. Stay true to you. I'll be a Part time Artist for sometime while I work my way through Web Design. Hugs

Jessica said...

JENN! Hey, I finally made it over here, whew! I just got back from a 4 hour study session at school (yes, on a Saturday, it stinks) and I took a practice exam for my AP test. (SMOOT! Haha)

I am glad you are back (for now, at least) and I will definitely get around to befriending you on Pottermore. I am Gryffindor too! Horray! But I really don't like my username (yours is soooo pretty!): MarauderSand15758. Ahhhh....not my favorite. Perhaps I should make a new account? It's so fun to take that sorting quiz, I think I will!

I can't believe it's snowing over there! Haha it's up in the high 80s here! I hate summer. But when you live in California, what can you do? :D

I definitely need to try out that book, The Sugar Queen. I'm gonna look it up right after I post this comment! (haha I originally got on my computer to look up some study materials but then got sidetracked with all of the blogging amazingness. Whoops, teehee :)

Well, this comment is longer than I had planned, but oh well! I am glad you see that you returned to your roots, girlie, where your background for your blog is concerned. Whatever your gut tells you is the right thing to do :) I commend you, Silver Queen!

Until next time, see you round the common room!

Mademoiselle Angeline said...

Wanna know something funny? I went on to create a new account for Pottermore (my new name is RoseSparks22584) and guess what? I'm now in Slytherin! So I have a Gryffindor and a Slytherin account! And the funny thing is that I got all different questions for my sorting and I answered honestly and I got in Slytherin. So strange!

Elizabeth said...

Jennifer, I sooo love seeing your rooms and how you've decorated them...the dark and beautiful burgundy, the 'magical' desk, books, fairy lights, and a skull...oh so many delightful objects that I could seriously get lost (and not want to be found) in there! I have to smile at your skull...one year I found a black ceramic skull at the Thrift Store and gave it to my best friend at Christmas and she was thrilled with it. Her mom did not understand why we thought this was such a great present!! Halloween has always been our favorite holiday.

Oh, and that corset is thrilling! I used to wear one way back in the day when I was in the SCA...Society of Creative Anachranisms? Do you know it? It's a whole medieval society.

Hope your snow will soon be melting and making way for a beautiful Canadian Spring.

love to you,
liz

Queenie Believe said...

There is a reason being a teacher was placed in your heart. Do not be dissuaded by the job market at the moment. This may be a chance to expand your teaching dream to envision even more.
I had totally forgotten about Pottermore! Thanks for the reminder. I was soooo excited when it was announced as a upcoming internet adventure and then with the passing of time it went flying out of my head. I just went over to sign up but the site is currently down... heavy sigh... I will try later. None the less this is very exciting as Queenie is a huge fan :o)
Keep up the great work with school and stay warm.
Have a great day.
Always, Queenie
P.S. Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for visiting Queenie's wee blog and all your wonderful comments!

Jennifer said...

Cam,
I'm very sorry to hear your husband hates teaching. I don't know where I heard this, I think possibly Oprah haha, but she said teachers are very underpaid. They aren't in Canada, and I would say that's the main difference. Teachers are, for the most part, extremely well paid here. Thanks for your sweet words. I will email you after exams and we'll set up our date!

Jennifer said...

Debi,
Your words are too sweet and uplifting :) I agree, a good teacher is very hard to find. And it's a harder job than it's appreciated for. Thanks for the link to Gypsy Boudoir, the things are beautiful!

Jennifer said...

Melanie,
Oh yes Anne of Green Gables! I think as Canadians we are surrounded with those tales from such a young age. I really never appreciated the beauty of that book until I was much much older, and had a taste for Victorian and Edwardian things. I hope you get enough time to create! Your work is so very beautiful :)

Jennifer said...

Jessica,
Guess I won't be seeing you around the common room little miss traitor! :P Haha Slytherin for the win I suppose! But I mean... I was just content to not be in Hufflepuff. HEHE!

Jennifer said...

Elizabeth,
I'd be absolutely enchanted to have get a skull for Christmas! I love them! Especially the fancy sugar skulls for the Day of the Dead. They're so beautiful, but are also quite trendy at the moment as well. I'm going to have to look up this SCA! Sounds like something right up my alley, wonder if they have a chapter near me!

Jennifer said...

Queenie,
Thank you for your kind encouragement on my dreams. It gets very discouraging sometimes, I feel as though I'm a rainbow fish swimming upstream amongst a population of trout sometimes! Haha what a mad thought. Let me know the next time you go on Pottermore what your username is so we can be friends!

Rachel said...

Hello beautiful Jenn!

I love seeing little sneaky peaks into your gorgeous room, I'm glad that the Witch's study is back and combined with the gypsy dressing room. Double the magic! Yay!

Regarding the teaching, do you read the blog Ozma of Odds? It's nothing to do with teaching but in one of her posts she mentioned a quote and an explanation of how she sees it, that was really quite inspiring. It's towards the end, after the pretty pictures :-) http://ozmaofodds.blogspot.com/2012/04/things-of-fairy-dust-decorating-and.html

Hope all goes well in your exams.

Ra x

Queenie Believe said...

Queenie is now on Pottermore :o) Yay!
I'm: MagicHawthorn1161
Have a great day.
Always, Queenie