Thursday, May 3, 2012

Birthday Art

Hello all!

First of all, I want to thank you for all of the kind birthday wishes on my last post.  My birthday was really magical and I can accredit that SOOO much to all of you magical folk.

Just dropping in with a quick post to share some of the art I have created recently.

Lots of birthdays have been happening, which means art for gifts, and me constantly creating but being unable to share any of it until it arrives at its destination.

The first piece I've made was for my lovely brother, who turned 22 yesterday.

Now that we're both in our twenties, I wanted to make him something to remember old times.

So I went off of this portrait, in which I am 3, and he is 5, at least I think so.





I also sent off a parcel, which arrived quite speedily, to Miss Jessica at A Woodland Fantasy, whose birthday is on May 7th.  So everyone go wish her a happy birthday when it comes ;)

Jessica is a true princess of Wonderland, and deserved a very special piece of art to celebrate her.




Did you know that Lewis Carroll himself originally wanted Alice to be brunette?  He drew her as brunette in all of her sketches.  However, later illustrators depicted her as blonde, and everyone else followed suit.

So Miss Jessica, as a brunette, is certainly the Alice type :)

The piece is glittered, cheshired, toadstooled, cupcaked, and trimmed with lace.  All are emulations of Jessica herself.

So that's some of the madness that's been happening in the studio.

I am still working on the Practical Magic house, if you're wondering where that piece vanished off to.  It's one of those ones that get put on the back burner, and get slowly worked on for ages and ages...

I also got a job for the Summer.  Working at a daycare in a gym part time.  The job offer arrived on my birthday, which was just perfect since I had been stressing about having to go look for a job.  The job market in my city, and well, everywhere, is so darn daunting.

And finally, I got a new tattoo!  I am not going to share it unfortunately though.  I had noticed my blog was being reached through pictures of my tattoos and I realized I was very uncomfortable with this.  I have removed all of the photographs of my other ones.  After much consideration, I realized this blog wasn't only being read by people who comment and visit regularly, but was also easily found from all stretches of the cyber world.  So, hopefully understandably, I have decided not to continue sharing them.

This is not just an issue with tattooing, it is also a concern, I am sure most of us feel, with my art.  However, art is not something permanently etched on my body, and does not usually carry such IMMENSE personal meaning

Ok, so after rambling all that, I will tell you what the tattoo is of!

I drew it myself and it is a crown, with a spider inside topped with a fleur de lis.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Love,
Jenn

5 comments:

Bobbypin Bandit said...

Happy Belated Birthday! I am glad you had a great day! I hope all your birthday wishes come true!

I love the art piece modeled after the photo! It's darling!

Melanie Statnick said...

yay ! good for you on the job. Its something I would not be able to do. I loved looking after my own. I volunt. at our Buddhist center one a month in the kids class, its great teaching them the Dharma. I really like your recent work and what a sweet gift for your brother i'm sure he'll charish it always. I really like your Alice in wonderland as well. Keep your heart Open. !

Jessica said...

Jenn, you are so SWEET! I am honored to be a princess of Wonderland! And it is so intriguing that Alice was once a brunette, before she got switched to a blonde. Veeerrry interesting :) (I am applauding the Canadian postal service, by the way, for shipping that package out so quickly--that's awesome!) I hope you receive my parcel soon too!

That picture you drew for your brother is amazing! I mean seriously, an exact replica! You are so talented, Jenn, and everything you make is personalized and beautiful. You know just how to touch a person's heart :)

I hope everything works out at your new job! How exciting!!! You'll have to share the details once you get started :)

Well, have a lovely day, darling! :)

xoxo

Elizabeth said...

It feel that it's NEVER too late to wish someone a Happy Birthday!! So here I am sending my good wishes to you...looks like you had a wonderful time on the real day :-)

What a wonderful personal idea, painting from a photo of you and your brother when you were mere toddlers! I hope he remembers posing for the original photo...and you've captured the scene very nicely on the wood.

The 'Alice' piece is delightful, with sparkles and a cheshire cat and a mushroom...well done! Did you like the remake with Johnny Depp? Now that movie had a VERY blonde Alice!! My daughter bought the soundtrack which is a really electric selection, some I enjoyed, some didn't.

Keep on creating and sharing with us!

Liz

Queenie Believe said...

The painting you created for your brother is wonderful, a treasure he will cherish forever!
Have a great day.
Always, Queenie