Friday, June 1, 2012

The Wolves

Lovely friends,

First of all, 
thank you thank you thank you for all the well wishes after I'd been so ill with the flu.

I've been in bed pretty much since Sunday so your kind words cheered me up so much.

I am feeling much better and returned to work today.

Secondly
I've been itching for the day I shared this piece since I started it just before my birthday.

It's been one of those pieces that you had to be in the right frame of mind to work on.

I am proud to announce it is finished, and carries a very important meaning behind it.

I present to you

"The Wolves"



This piece stemmed from a journey of self discovery.  Learning about who I am and what works for me, and what absolutely does not.

At some point, most of us have had our hearts' fill of betrayal, heartbreak and disappointment.

The people and situations who brings this into our lives are the wolves.


Whether we accept it or not, we are the ones who allow the wolves into our lives, and after learning many lessons, the wolves can become unrecognizable.

In this piece in particular, the girl is representative of self, who is cast down from her royal position in rags and chased from her kingdom by the wolves.

She escapes the wolves by coming to a body of water, where she is washed clean of what they bring to her life, and left only with her own thoughts, her own position, and her own control over her life.


A large part of the inspiration for this piece comes from a song by Kate Walsh, also entitled "The Wolves".

"I thought I knew the wolves by name
They charge in here again and again.
I knew it was wrong, I knew it was wrong.
I only wanted to belong."


"For all the days I woke up in a strange place,
were so damn dark that I would never again.
Oh hell I've lost myself again.
But I'm gonna do right by me.
I'm gonna do right by me.
I'm gonna do right by me"


You can listen to the song here.

It is very representative to me of disappointing yourself by acting out of character, or working towards fitting in with a crowd you don't belong with.  It's disrespectful to your own being.


So tell me, how do you deal with The Wolves in your own life?



6 comments:

Queenie Believe said...

This is a totally awesome painting!!! I love it!!! Actually, the timing of your posting of this painting is perfect in that I've just been dealt a heavy blind sighted blow from a sibling of mine. Time has come for Queenie to be strong in herself and stand up for herself and family. Thank you for choosing this day to post your beautiful painting!!!
Generally speaking, how I deal with the wolves in my life is remembering a famous quote that sort of goes, To thine own self be true. Most often it take alot courage to be yourself sprinkled with patience, understanding, listening and the doing frequent "gut checks."
Have a great day.
Always Queenie

Prudence Puddleduck said...

You have a much better handle on life than I at your age. You will save yourself from so much disappointment and keep your soul in tacked. You are an amazing young women indeed.
(wolves run in packs (misery loves company)...then there is the most dangerous wolf.. who runs alone) I was and still am a solitary personality.
YOur creative piece is of a solitary person....nicely done ♥Debi

Jessica said...

I love it, Jenn! I reminds me of a spooky and enchanting fairy tale :) I know I've probably said this about five times already, but you are so talented! I'm simply gushing over this piece :)

How do I deal with my Wolves? Let's see...I make myself a coffee drink, for starters, with LOTS of whipped cream. (Hello? Who doesn't love the stuff?) And then I watch Disney anime. Or if I can't get to the video store (which is sadly beginning to close down, sad face) I look up Walt Disney quotes, which usually get me back up and running. Then I read. Because "There is more treasure n books than in all the pirates' loot on Treasure Island" (Walt Disney).

Hope you're feeling patched up! And back to normal!

Cameron said...

It does take some time to learn lessons like these....amazed, but hate that you have experienced them already.

Your painting is beautiful and extremely personal....which only makes it even more beautiful!

I'm so glad you are well enough to indulge in painting again.....and hope there will be a lot more to come!!

Donna Patrice said...

A lovely painting - and I love that it is so personal. I'm sorry that you've had to deal with wolves in your life already, but what you've learned from them will take you into the future. Be true to your beautiful self, especially when wolves come knocking...and they will.

I'm so glad that you are feeling better! On a happy note, I love the blogging community - I find about such awesome stuff that I would not necessarily find on my own - like Kate Walsh! I've been listening to her music - so beautiful!

Thank you for sharing, Jenn!

Melanie Statnick said...

I can relate to feeling this way when I was your age. As I got older and things in Life ,Job,Marriage,Children,House too priority the "school Girl" days got father and father behind me as I grew up. They will always be people in life who's intentions are other then kind. As you get a little older you'll be able to pick those people and you wont get involved with the from the get go. Just give it time, your experince believe it or not is tests passed for later. I hope your feeling better!!!