Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Keeping Vs. Collecting & Goblins in the Shop!

Hello dear friends,

Through all of the hubbub that involves bringing oodles of donation bags to the local thrift store, I wonder to myself:  what to keep what to collect?

I consider myself a collector of curious findings, little objects (and big) that tug on my heart strings and demand that I bring them home!

In all of the loudness I sometimes get my wires crossed I think and hear the wrong voices, or hear the voices that I should really ignore.  In other words it is important to my sanity that I keep the collecting to a mentally healthy level.

I also see it as enjoying something for a little while and then passing it on, freeing up space for new things to come home with me.  I haven't got a lot of space, and I must be selective.  Do you ever find yourself starting to resent something you've bought, wishing you hadn't bought it or that you'd like to get rid of that?  I was getting that feeling with so many of my belongings, many of them thrift store or yard sale findings from my teenage years.  I am no minimalist, I continue to be a collector of oddness and whimsy, just trying to keep it down to a smaller scale.

These have been my ponderings since my big space overhaul, I do like everything neat and tidy and putting anything in storage breaks my heart (or makes me worry my collecting has gone overboard!)  I have added since the paint job though!  A new bedspread, white with pink and orange to go with the room without too much of that delightful yet overpoweringly bright raspberry colour.  A sweet little studio mirror and cork board.  A Rowena Ravenclaw diadem.  Two sweet little signs.

Hope everyone is having a lovely week.

Love,
Jenn





PS. Wanted to let everyone know I've popped the Goblin Mine Woodland in the shop!  Feel free to take a peek!



9 comments:

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

Love the polka dots!

It is hard to decide what to keep in a small space! My daughter is a collector. I have been showing her over the years how to rotate her stuff. She has a corner cabinet in her room. She can open it and look at her collections. She also has a box to put those little trinkets that she thinks she doesn't want anymore, but it not ready to pass to someone else to enjoy.

Queenie Believe said...

The new pink and yellow walls are wonderful and very fun.
Keeping life in balance can be a challenge but simply being aware is the key. Just a couple of weekends ago I did the big purge of my closet, dresser, and storage trunk... Woof, totally filled up the car with bags to the thrift store. Sometimes our spirits just let us know when its time, acting on that little nudge always makes it easier for me.
Thanks for the anniversary wishes, sweetie!
Have a great day.
Always, Queenie

Dena Miller said...

Jennifer,
your room looks Fabulous!!! I love the two lamps beside your bed,,,so cozy. I too have to take some time to weed out. I have started and it feels really good. It is so hard to part with treasures that once spoke to you. I always think, "what if I change my mind?" "I should not have given that away" yes...tis hard, but I know I have to do it too!
P.S. I love it when you post a blog...I get so excited to see what you are up to!
xoxo,
Dena

Ms Misantropia said...

I too am in a de-cluttering state right now, and donating stuff just moved to the top of my to-do-list last week when we visited a big charity flea market. I realized that alot of the stuff just lying around the house that I thought no-one would want, but that I still can't bring myself to throw out, can actually find happy new owners.
Also I'm considering having a blog sale.

Prudence said...

I can't move! I'm in lizard mode...this winter is kicking my butt! Your warm, inviting space is where I would hide till the thawing begins! I love your lamps! They are keepers!
I accumulate clutter in my creative corner! Oh I do make many mental To Do's. If only I could!
Off to your shop dear heart! Lovely Weekend Ahead!
xoDebi

Sacred Keep said...

I absolutely adore your colours I can just imagine curling up and feeling very secure

... :) ...
blessings

Jo said...

I go through much the same! I usually go through things seasonally and de-clutter (one pile donate, the other trash). I've been doing A Lot of that this Winter! But, this year I'm trying to tidy up at least 20 minutes a day, whether it's a specific area of our home, or in general, and in doing so, anything that doesn't belong, goes! It feels wonderful!

And I *love* that paint color!

Sara ~Snövits äpple~ said...

The little goblin world you are creating is so adorable. And it so much lighted up my day to read what you wrote to me, that I light up your life. It´s the same for me- our friendship lights up my life too. Much love <3

Rhissanna said...

I love the colours and I'm glad you don't feel the need to dilute them, or restrict them to mere accent notes. It's so refreshing to see, and I'm tired of timidity in interior design. Let rip, I say!

As for collecting, moving from the UK to the USA (apart from being the best thing I ever did) meant that my collections were summarily executed. That does, of course, mean I can start new ones...