Wednesday, April 30, 2014

The Night of the Witches

Dear friends,

I am writing to you all on my birthday today.  It is Walpurgis Night, the Night of the Witches; and tomorrow is Beltane.  It is exactly half a year past Halloween tonight.

Walpurgis Night (in German folklore) the night of 30 April (May Day's eve), when witches meet on the Brocken mountain and hold revels with their gods..."
Brocken is the highest of the Harz Mountains of north central Germany. It is noted for the phenomenon of the Brocken spectre and for witches' revels which reputedly took place there on Walpurgis night.
The Brocken Spectre is a magnified shadow of an observer, typically surrounded by rainbow-like bands, thrown onto a bank of cloud in high mountain areas when the sun is low. The phenomenon was first reported on the Brocken.
Oxford Phrase & Fable.



It is a gloomy day, which just makes me feel like lighting candles and reading cards; listening to the rain fall outside and this beautiful song:


                 

I have had very peaceful birthdays the past few years, I enjoy being able to reflect on what is different in each birthday blog post, it's nice to look back and see how my life has changed.  What lessons I have learned, things I miss, things I'd like to go back to, things I'd still like to work on. 

My first birthday blog post was when I turned 20, and looking back on that I was only just finishing my first year of uni, and was innocently looking forward to what was to come.  I'd been gifted a trip to Europe, but ended up being unable to go due to illness in my immediate family.  The summer immediately following I also fell in love.  That trip to Europe will still happen, a little later than planned perhaps.  It will likely be a honeymoon trip!  No, not engaged, we're just dreaming away about the future!


My 21st birthday last year was followed by my first visit to Disneyworld.  I believe last year was the first birthday I'd felt I was on track to where I was supposed to be going.  This past year has been a year of working out kinks.  Learning how to be a good friend, partner, and business person.  Being the kind of person I can be proud of.  The days of worrying that others will have negative ideas of me are long gone.  This year, and especially the past few months, I've learned to care what I think of me.


This year is a blessing, I am thankful for each and every person who has been in my life.  Especially each and every one of you beautiful women who I've become acquainted with through art, magic, mindfulness.  You are all so special and inspire me each and every day 



I have a new (old) 1960s dressing table, birthday cards stuck in the sides of the mirror.  Two special pieces of paper stick out amongst the rest.


Stevie Nicks here I come!!!

Love to you all, and thank you from this 22 year old on her birthday!!!

Blessings,
Jenn







13 comments:

Prudence said...

Happiest of Day's to come! I now live "rockNroll" through
You my dearest witch!
Wave to Stevie and Christine for me, oh and Mac gets the finger ..from me...
I wish you your Hearts content ! xoxoDebi

Sara ~Snövits äpple~ said...

Oh Jennifer, it´s your birthday!! You will get a late birthday gift and birthday card from me, that is for sure. I will try to send my mail to you very, very soon. And I very much enjoyed reading your reflections about your life. I didn´t know you have a partner. That person is certainly very lucky who gets to be with such a beautiful person as you. XX

Rachel Gallagher said...

Happy happy birthday gorgeous girl. Wishing you all the love and magic in the World. :-)

MySpecialAgent said...

Beautiful post!
Happy birthday!

Sacred Keep said...

Best wishes coming to you from me

...:)...
blessings

Ms Misantropia said...

Happy Birthday, Jennifer!

May 30th is called Valborg in Sweden. We light huge bonfires in every town and student choirs "sing in the spring". Some places even do marching bands and other things.

Today (May 1st) is Labor Day in Sweden and it's a holiday, so I'm on the patio in the sun with the kitties :)

Dena Miller said...

Thinking of you on your Birthday Sweet Girl♥
xoxo
Dena

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

Your post is so beautiful, and it's wonderful that you are so reflective on each year. I love your new photo that shows up when you leave a post. Happy Birthday, Jennifer, I hope you have lots of blessings and promise.

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

Oh, and how wonderful to go hear Stevie Nicks. I love all her music! She is from here, but moved away a couple a years ago, and yet, I never saw her around town. I did see Alice is Cooper doing some grocery shopping. :)

Jen Ham said...

Ah, Jen, Happy Belated Birthday, dearie! And how perfect you were born on April 30th! You are magical, indeed! Hope the concert was fun! xo Jen :)

Shell said...

Wishing you a wonderful new year, Jennifer. Hope you had a truly magical birthday

Queenie Believe said...

Wishing you a very happy, yet bletaed, birthday. I truly hope your special day was great.
Stenie Nicks concert tickets, hazah!! What a score!!! You will have a grand time.
Have a wonderful day.
Always, Queenie

Donna Patrice said...

I hope you had a wonderful birthday!

Yay for Fleetwood Mac tickets!! They will be here on Halloween and we were not able to get tickets (unless we want to spend a ridiculous amount of money). Soooo disappointed!

I had to go find pictures of the Brocken Spectre - very, very cool!