Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Halloween Shopping Guide Part 3: Practical Tidbits from Wal-Mart, Target and Dollar Stores

Hello friends!

Welcome to week 3 of my Halloween shopping series.

While I usually get most of my more unique and special items from places like Homesense, there are some practical Halloween decorating items you can get at cheaper stores.

Glittery pumpkins from Wal-Mart

I don't typically buy much of my main decor from these shops, but they are good for some of the basic Halloween decorating items.


Instead of buying the expensive witch's hats from the decorating stores, I buy the dollar store versions and then spice them up with some sparkly spiders from Michael's.


The dollar store is excellent for little Halloween crafts for kids, and kids at heart.  I think my mum thought it was pretty funny when my boyfriend and I were sat at the dining room table painting Frankenstein and this little ghosty on a Saturday night.  Poor Frank's head is chipping!


Orange and purple Halloween lights are one of my favourite things about decorating for Halloween.  I always get mine for about a dollar a set at the dollar store, and buy a few packs so I can put them allover.


Sometimes you'll find some treasure on clearance in the days following Halloween.  I've had this little lantern from Target for years.


And these sweet little Halloween stuffs were gifts from my boyfriend this year.  Dollar store!

Purple Halloween lights

Dollar store crow

Dollar stores and superstores like Wal-Mart and Target can have a few cutesy things for Halloween decorating.  Usually there is nothing very unique, or if you enjoy a bit of a gothic decorating style, nothing high quality enough to leave out year round.  Little tidbits can be found however!  I think the basics like cobwebs, lights, and extra kitschy garlands are best bought on the cheap, and you usually can't find those things at higher end stores anyway.

I hope you enjoyed this instalment of my Halloween Shopping series.  Next week will be my final instalment and will be about costumes and clothing for the modern witch.

After that two blog parties will take us through to the end of October.  My my Autumn is flying by!

Catch you later lovely spooky folks!

Your ghostly hostess,
Jennifer

12 comments:

Nicole said...

I love all of your decor. I hope to do more of my own decorating this weekend!

⚡ Ms. Ladyfair ⚡️ said...

My fiance and I passed the Dollarama after we finished grocery shopping today and I saw the owl on an end cap. I was really contemplating get it, he's so cute!!

Andi's English Attic said...

I had to get my crows from Ebay as I could never find any in the shops here. I love what you've done to the hat. xx

Nadine said...

Love the witch's hat. And Little Frankenstein is so cute!

Debi said...

I got the crow as well! Hmm purple lights! I must investigate! Oh OUR Micheals opens Friday! just one block away! There goes the grocery money!
Fly Safe sweet Witch! xoDebi

Ms Misantropia said...

I love that lantern, and this time I'm not jealous 'cause I just got something like it!

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

So much fun! I am so behind this year! xoxo

goddessof4 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
goddessof4 said...

Hi !!! I love this post!!!! I like to buy a lot of things right after the holiday and save to use for the next year!!!!! Blessings,Sara

Joanna DeVoe said...

I've got that crow too! Got it at the Dollat Tree a few years back... LOVE the glittery pumpkins & purple faerie lights :O)

Magaly Guerrero said...

Every time I see your decorations, I want to move in. LOVELY! Particularly your purple lights. ;-)

Cozycomfycouch said...

Spooktacular!!! wonderful! :D